Sunday, February 22, 2015

Cattle Cafe (Across from Metrotown)

2

Cattle Cafe has 4 locations including 3 stores on Kingsway. It's a typical Hong Kong style cafe with huge selections of dishes. (If you are indecisive like me, you would be sitting there for an hour trying to figure out what to order) This location is quite clean and seats are not tightly arranged. They actually moved a store down, so the capacity is a lot bigger.



First, we ordered the popular french toast, deep fried and served with a slab of butter and syrup. ($4.95 4/5)  I've always thought the toast is just one big crispy chunk of bread when I saw pictures of it on Instagram. I wasn't going to order this dish, but my mom wanted it to try it so I decided to sample a piece. The texture was actually really soft and the pieces consisted of 2 smaller pieces. Such a diet killer though .___. 
(wait, i'm a foodie... what diet?)




For drinks, since My sister and I both ordered combos, we only had to add $2.00 for specialty drinks. I got the Peach Calpis with coconut jelly (3/5 Original price $4.25+$0.50). My sister chose the Mango Slush with pearls (Orginial price $4.55+$0.50) I didn't sample my sister's drink, but she said It tasted bland and the pearls were too hard. And for my drink, I thought it was kind of bland as well, I couldn't really taste the Calpis.





I ordered the Noodle Combo at Your Choice ($8.50 3/5) with Malay Laksa,  Ramen noodles (+$0.50), Fish balls and fish puffs.


The portion was decent, I liked my fish balls and puffs. However the laksa broth was WAY too spicy! I actually had to ask the server for some original fish broth to dilute it down. I know some may prefer spicier laksas, but I've had authentic ones in Singapore, their broth was creamy and medium spicy. This broth also lacked creaminess, which was disappointing because I only chose this broth to satisfy my laksa craving. Noodle was okay, but I was expecting a thicker type of ramen.






My sister had the Mango Coconut Curry with pork chops and rice ($9.?? 4.5/5)

HK Style Cafes do make decent curry dishes, and this one was good as well. The pork chops were fried just right, I love curry with strong coconut flavours, and this one blends well with mangoes.


Overall Experience:

Many more returns to come, mainly because of the wild variety of food they offer. The service was okay, but then again, I don't really care about the quality of service for Asian restaurants unless the servers are extremely rude. Original Fish Soup and Curry will probably be my next choice. 


Cattle Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments: