Friday, February 27, 2015

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka 山頭火

0

Back in the summer when I wasn't such a big foodie, I had no idea how famous Ramen Santouka is world wide. My first experience here was literally because I was attracted by the huge line ups and the window displays of the noodle bowls, and luckily a friend that was with me had been and she told me that it's worth the line up. So Ta-da, my ramen adventure had begun.

This review will be based on 2 visits!


First Experience:


Since I love creamy broths, I decided to order the Ikura combo with Shio Ramen,  Ikura Gohan (fish roe on rice) and half a boiled egg. (Since Santouka is always so busy, I never got the chance to remember the price, but it's in the range of $15-$16 4/5) I recommend getting a combo, it's a nice portion for guys that eat alot or for 2 girls to share.



However, the ramen was quite disappointing. I hated the broth, It was EXTREMELY salty, thus it overpowered all the good flavours that was suppose to come out. The noodle was mediocre, the 2 pieces of cha shu was the only good part, tender and well marinated. Thankfully, the rice bowl saved me, the fish roe was SO fresh and juicy, they mixed very well with the rice and the tamago strips. The boiled egg was just a soy marinated egg, I still prefer the oilier ones. 

Overall Experience (1):

I was honestly a little upset that day because I lined up for more than 45 minutes and it was not what I expected, not even close.  But I would still come back (which i did) to try out 1 or 2 more broths. They are famous for a reason, and I wanted to find out. 


I came back once again for 2 reasons, One to give Santouka another chance and Two, to bring a friend since he really wanted to try it. 



They just reopened recently so they are currently offering HALF PRICED GYOZAS ($2.98/5 pcs 4.5/5) till March.9th!  I had to order them, 5 pieces for under $3 is an amazing deal.  Their gyozas are always on point, skin is pan fried perfectly, and meat is juicy and flavourful! I would think they are a little too expensive if they weren't half priced, but nonetheless, try one if you've never ordered gyoza at Santouka before. 


Due to my love and obsession with milky and creamy broths, I still wanted to order Shio, but this time I learned my lesson. I asked for Shio Cha Shu Ramen and requested less salt. ($12.?5 4.5/5) 

I ordered cha shu because I remembered how good their cha shu slices were so naturally I wanted more! The broth is SO much better with less salt, I can actually drink the broth and enjoy its real flavours.  The noodles were cooked much better as well, chewy and al dente. 

Overall Experience (2):

I was so happy that I finally got to discover the magic of Santouka, and I'm eager to try more ramen joints for comparisons! The service was so much better as well, maybe it was just bad luck the first time I came! Since they just re opened less than a month ago, hurry up before the long line ups and full priced gyozas come back again!


Hokkaido Ramen Santouka 山頭火 on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment