Wednesday, January 28, 2015

49th Parallel & Lucky's Donut (Kitsliano Store)

0

Living in North Burnaby/Burquitlam, it's extremely hard to find a nice cafe where you can sit and chat with your friends, or to study in a nice environment. Ahhh.. Ironically, I'm a cafe and coffee shop lover who loves to discover new cafes, and relax while I sip on my coffee. Sometimes, Starbucks is just not enough!

49th happened on a Wednesday after a whole day of tests. My friend and I decided to travel all the way to West Van to explore this magical place with not only good coffee, but creative donuts. (I repeat! DONUTS! Yes, It's donut not doughnut, I'm still Canadian..)
What a lovely place!! I absolutely adore it's interiors, very refreshing and stress relieving (you would understand if you've been to this location), especially with the mint/light green coloured wall, garden plants and marble tables. Love at first sight!



Coincidentally, Hot Chocolate Festival was on! (In fact, it's still going until Feb.14th). According to other foodies, Lumberjack was a cool flavour to try out, while its other featured hot chocolate: Nanaimo Bar, was too sweet. So naturally, I ordered the Lumberjack Hot Chocolate ($6.00 3.5/5) served with maple marshmallows and a chocolate covered wafer log. I also ordered a Coffee Cruller ($3.00 4.5/5) to go with my Hot Chocolate.


The Lumberjack was spicier than I expected. I thought it'd be cool to try a spicy dark hot chocolate, but I'm not used to the weird sensation, the spice was too strong for me, however, I was still able to finish it. The wafer log was really good, but the marshmallows tasted artificial. I think I would enjoy the Nanaimo Bar more since I am a sugarholic. 

The coffee cruller saved this whole trip! The texture was nice, slightly chewy, slightly fluffy. The flavour was on point as well. The only reason why i deducted 0.5 points was because of the oil, It'd be perfect if the donut had less oil. 


Overall Experience:

I have had 49th parallel coffee at Prado Cafe before, so I know the quality of their coffee is no doubt amazing. But this hot chocolate was disappointing, I'd like to revisit and try the Nanaimo Bar if I have time. Nonetheless, A wonderful place to talk and do work, It's officially on the top of my favourite cafes in Vancouver. Many returns in the future! And make sure you ALWAYS get a donut! 


Forty Ninth Parallel Café & Lucky's Doughnuts on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment