Saturday, January 24, 2015

Midam Cafe&Bistro

0

By being a Burquitlamer, I've heard about Midam Cafe many many times, but I never found the time and opportunity to go even though I pass by K town/North Road almost everyday. Today after lunch, my mom randomly wanted to visit since her friends were talking about it as well.

What a hidden gem. It is located between Hannam Korean Market and Bikram Yoga (First Floor), You would probably never find this place by its awkward location and dark exteriors. But yet It's still well known in the community so you think it must be phenomenal! ...But is it really?


The cafe has a basketball theme from all the mini models of bball players, It gives off a young vibe, but I spotted 3 floor seatings that are very traditional and cultural. I liked the clash of time periods, and I would love to sit in one of the floor seatings next time! (However, It'd be cute if the theme of this cafe is more girly, but I guess they already have enough customers to renovate the interiors.)




I knew that their shaved ice is super popular, with no doubt, I ordered the Green Tea Shaved Iced ($10.99 3.5/5). I expected the bowl to be twice the size, but when the server came with a medium-small bowl, I wasn't pleased... (They all looked huge on Instagram D: ).

Oh well, Let's see how it tastes then? The red bean paste and the green tea ice cream combined perfectly, but I noticed that their green tea mochi/rice cakes were too salty. Midam actually specializes in rice cakes, but I really didn't like how they were salty, I needed my sugar fix not a sodium rise! The bowl lacked ingredients, over 2/3 of the bowl were just plain shaved ice. :/
Overall I was pretty disappointed, I've had way better shaved ice at Dae-Ji. They have bigger sizes with more ingredients for only $9.99. (and Dae-Ji is just located on the second floor of the same court!)




My sister ordered the Chocolate Fondue ($8.99 4/5) with fruits and rice cakes. I didn't taste any of her food due to her illness, but according to her, It was good. She said she would rate it 4/5. It is a great plate to order for kids, but also very easy to make at home.





Meanwhile, My mom didn't listen to my advice and insisted to order the Red Bean Fondue. ($6.99 2/5).  It looked sketchy on the menu. The Red Bean Fondue was sweet yet the rice cakes were really salty. This isn't salted caramel so personally I think the flavours of sweet red bean and salty sticky rice cakes definitely didn't go well together. We strongly disliked it, and their rice cakes. (But our opinions might differ! If you are curious, give it a try, It isn't very expensive.)



Due to the dissatisfaction of the desserts, my mom wanted to order another dish. We decided to get the spicy chicken with cheese. ($17 3.5/5) (Didn't I just say I want a sugar fix? ... and yeah I know it was very awkward to order a main dish after desserts.. Don't Judge! haha)
I eat spicy, but I know Koreans are crazy about their spices, thus I specified that I wanted the sauce to be MILDY spicy. Okay... either the server forgot or they just eat super spicy... The dish was actually very good but we couldn't bear the extreme spiciness, so we had to bring it home and think about another way to enjoy it!


Overall Experience:

Man, It sounded like a terrible experience with such high hopes in the beginning. Nonetheless, I will revisit at least 2 more times to see if it's worth it or not. I haven't tried its parfaits, waffles as well as beverages, maybe their other shaved ice if I'm in the mood.
The service was not bad, this place is generally for young crowds and couples. However I went in the afternoon, so it was pretty much empty and very quiet. Next time, I will deliberately go at night, some time after dinner,  and maybe I will enjoy my food more with a better vibe.



Midam Cafe on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment