Friday, January 30, 2015

The Old Spaghetti Factory Gastown (DOVF Stop #2)

0

TGIF! Sorry for being fashionably late! As I mentioned on my Instagram, it's midterm season and grade 12s are extremely sensitive during this period of the time with countless exams and university applications to complete. But thank goodness for these occasional food therapies to destress the pain!(by the way, the dates that I scheduled here are the actual dates of me visiting the restaurants not the dates that my reviews are posted!)

Well Well Well, The Old Spag; A classic, "home style" Italian chain restaurant in Canada. Known for it's pasta of course. When I first visited around 6 years ago, I was honestly not impressed by the quality of their food, and after that I didn't revisit until this new years eve. Since it was the second dinner of the night for my family and I, we didn't order a lot, but I enjoyed every dish. Not to mention the price of their food!  >>> Fast forward to Dine out 2015, I know that the Old Spag participates in DOVF every year, but I normally don't go to restaurants that carry $18 menus, but after Nando's I was quite satisfied! Always have faith in $18 menus, sometimes they even top $38 menus.


On a Thursday night studying at Starbucks, I bumped into my best friend and one of her peers, we instantly agreed to get dinner together. (I seriously love random food trips)  We all needed fuel so we can stress more! (lmao, uni students are probably thinking why high schoolers are so stressed) Anyways, long story short! we all wanted (more like needed) to pig out and the Old Spag was in the the area and it was dine out season so BINGO. We went to hunt down some good pastas!
(and we got to sit in the train! How cute!!! damn, girls are easily amused...)


We ordered 2 sets to share among 3 girls , and we were planning to order a flatbread as an addition, but little did we know, we were too full to even finish the desserts...


This year's Dine Out Menu


Yay for complimentary bread! I'm not a big fan of sourdough, but their garlic butter never disappoints!


For Appetizers we shared the good old caesar salad (4/5) and sweet potato (Yam) fries with chipotle mayo sauce (3.5/5). First of all! round of applause for the size of their portion! The caesar salad was really creamy and cheesy, if you like strong flavoured salads then you'd like this one! but again, there's nothing much to say about caesar, it's just a basic S (get it? it's like basic B but with S? okay I know It's 3 am in the morning, I'm not making sense...) Yam fries were nice and crispy,  I prefer thick yam fries, but for $18, It was good enough.

Okay, now on to dee pastas!


Pesto Linguine (3.5/5)
- homemade pesto sauce with fresh basil and pine nuts is mixed with a touch of cream and served over linguine noodles.

This one was too starchy, instead of smooth and creamy. I thought the noodle was going to be soaked in pesto sauce, but it was rather dry. However my bff really liked this one. Opinions do differ!


Penne with Chicken (5/5)
Tender pieces of chicken breast, penne noodles, mushrooms, peppers and fresh tomatoes tossed in a rich basil cream sauce.

Oh my, I don't even know where to start! The fact that I can still remember its flavours from a week ago as I'm writing this definitely means that this one's a keeper! The basil sauce was so rich and creamy, spices were strong but they hit my tastebuds in a very tender way. (did I just create a paradox?) My friend said this dish reminded her of bacon, and the chicken pieces apparently tasted like bacon as well?! haha, I guess they kinda did! Smoky, smooth, rich, creamy, tender,pasta cooked al dante, etc etc!! Too many good things were going on under its simple name!


Finally, every girl's favourite part of the meal! Dessert timeeee!

We were actually SO full when the dessert came,  and had to pack half of each slices home!

Ultimate Cheesecake (4/5)
 - New York Style Cheesecake, subtle vanilla flavours.

A very basic New York cheesecake, but it was still a cheesecake, so it had to be good!

Choca-block Torte (5/5) (LOL my friend had a hard time pronouncing the name, it was hilarious)
- A moist chocolate cake layer cradles milk chocolate ganache covered with a dense dark chocolate mousse.

This one was more unique than the cheesecake, It had a layer of sponge cake, a layer of mousse and a layer of brownie/ganache. I loved the difference of the densities, It was also very rich, but not too sweet. Some may argue that It is but I thought it was just right.

Overall Experience:

Very satisfied! I repeat! We shared 2 dine out menus among 3 people, so it was around $15 per person and we were stuffed!!! Their menu was SO worth, and it's still relatively cheap if you visit during the rest of the year. The service was great, the restaurant vibe was calm and warm. A great come back for a girl who used to dislike the restaurant!


The Old Spaghetti Factory on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment