Sunday, January 4, 2015

Thomas Haas Fine Chocolates&Patisserie (Kitsilano Store)

0

I've had Thomas Haas chocolates many times before but I have never been to any of their stores. Yesterday after lunch, my family and some of our family friends wanted to continue chatting at a nearby cafe and we all had our eyes on Thomas Haas. Damn, Friday Afternoon on a weekday, the cafe is still packed and more and more people kept coming in during our time there. We waited around 10 to 15 minutes before we had a table. The line up was pretty long, I ordered a Manjari Chocolate Cake, 5 macarons (mango strawberry earl grey lemon and passionfruit). 2 classic hot chocolates and a matcha latte. It took them 10 minutes to prepare my order.





The classic hot chocolate ($4.70 4.5/5) and the Manjari chocolate cake ($5.90 4/5) were no doubt, amazing since they do make one of the best chocolates in Vancouver. The Hot chocolates (I'd say they were about 50-60% dark eventhough we ordered regular) were rich and smooth, If you like sweet ones, simply add a pack of sugar.



The chocolate cake reached its full potentials, It was again, dark, rich and layered perfectly with chocolate mousse, soft sponge cakes and rum creme brûlé, you can feel the chunky bites and soft rum flavours melt in your mouth. The Manjari chocolate is smooth and creamy. It was expensive for a tiny slice of cake but I enjoyed it.


Matcha Latte $3.80 (3.5/5) 
Being a CRAZY matcha lover, (by crazy i mean beyond obsessed), I couldn't stop myself from ordering a matcha latte, the latte art was quite nice, but one sip and i was disappointed, the drink was bland and I could barely taste the matcha. I think it's a personal thing, since I love matcha so much, It is almost impossible to find any matcha drinks or desserts that fit my strong taste..I even have to add tablespoons of matcha powder to my matcha ice cream. So if you are an intense matcha lover like I am, take my advice and bring a pack of matcha powder if you wanna order any matcha lattes at a cafe, but if you're just a regular lover, ignore me hahaha. 


Lastly, MACARONS! $1.80/each 4/5 
Who doesn't like a colourful macaron for dessert? This little elegant, "high class" pastry is one of my favourites. It took me around 12 tries to make a successful batch of macarons, thus $2 for one is totally reasonable since they are so hard to make. Thomas Haas actually has macarons for only $1.80 so I was quite surprised. Their macarons are on the sweet side, but it's still SO much better than macarons from faubourg's (too sweet) and Thierry (too flat,expensive,sweet,not crispy enough). 



Overall Experience:

Loved it! I would definitely revisit when I'm in the area, It's a nice little place to chat for you and your friends but it's never a good place to hangout in a huge group since it's always super busy. 

Random Things:
 -You can order any of their cakes full size for birthdays and parties. 

-They have spicy hot chocolates (Aztec) and Dark Hot chocolate. 

-I've heard good comments about their Almond Croissants (my mom had it and she loved it) and Champagne Truffle Chocolate Cake so I would for sure order these 2 when I revisit. 




Thomas Haas Fine Chocolates & Patisserie on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment